The Forties House was built in 1936 by Frances Grove Peddie, Assistant Public Assistance Officer, to provide a comfortable, modern home for his family. It survived the decades with limited modernisation which has been reversed by the current owners.
The interior is entirely furnished with authentic pieces from the 1930s and 1940s. This includes all technology, appliances and household wares that were available at the time - these are maintained in daily use.
The Police Box was commissioned in May 1933, one of about 140 that were installed for the Edinburgh City Police force. It remains in highly original condition, internally, whilst many others had fittings removed to make room for storage of road signs and wet-weather equipment.